A 1000 Ringgit Replacement, 5th Series, signed by then governor Tan Sri Abdul Aziz bin Taha (A.A.Taha) with low serial number ZZ0000001 will be auction by Malaysian company, Trigometric in their first ever Numismatic Auction on March 15, 2015.
The 1000 Ringgit Replacement / Star Note was printed by Thomas de la Rue and is graded Choice Uncirculated 64 EPQ. 1000 Ringgit is the highest denomination for Malaysia and Malaysia Central Bank has taken out the RM500 and RM1000 notes from circulation and withdrawn their legal tender status (“demonetised”) to complement the exchange control measures introduced in 1998.
The low serial number note (lot 106) is estimate to sell between RM120,000 (US$33,275)-RM250,000 (US$69,323).
A Malaya & British Borneo 1953 10 Cents Silver, Royal Mint, NGC PF66 and Malaya & British Borneo 1954 20 Cents Silver, Royal Mint, NGC PF67 CAMEO (lot 266) are also one of the main highlights of the auction. The coins are estimate to sell RM400,000 (US$110,917) - 660,000 (US$183,013).
These coins are extremely rare. The standard Malaya coinage of that era was struck mainly in copper-nickel. Why were these pattern coins struck in silver? In the original British Royal Mint reports. Page 7 of The British Royal Mint Report for 1955 notes; “No coins were struck in London for Malaya during 1955, except 4 sets of proof coins in silver, consisting each of four denominations 50 cents, 20 cents, 10 cents and 5 cents, which were struck for the local authorities as specimens”. Only the silver 10 cents (2 pieces) and 20 cents (1 piece) denominations have appeared on the market in the last 40 years.
Pedigree of these pair of pattern coins:
i) Offered as a pair in Lot 136 of the 4-5th April 1986 Spink - Taisei Singapore auction.
ii) They were also presented as individual lots, the 20 cent 1954 Lot 377 and the 10 cent 1953 Lot 379, at the 20-21
February 1992 Spink - Taisei auction.
iii) Sold by Champion Hong Kong Auction - Ultima Collection on 22nd August 2010 for USD$188,800
Without a doubt, these two coins are historically important and exceptional museum presentation quality. The only comparable rarities for the region will be the set of Straits Settlements 1/4,1/2,1 cent struck in gold which were owned by king Farouk of Egypt.
Other highlights includes:
- Lot 46. BNU Bank 50 Patacas,1981 ,LB 11146, 100 Patacas, 1984 RM 11146 match number (KNB54a,KNB55b) UNC. Estimate RM800 - 1,200.
- Lot 52. Bermuda $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, Dollars 2009, Specimen set. P57, P58, P59, P60, P61, P62 Number 000000 UNC (6pcs). Estimate RM800 - 1,200.
- Lot 76. Macau 10 Patacas Chinese Lunar year of the Dragon, Bank of China & BNU Bank Match number pair, Serial no 5602000, 5602111, 560222, 5602333 , 5602444, 56025555 , 5602666, 5602777, 5602888, 5602999. Rare UNC (20pcs). Estimate RM250,000 - 350,000.
- Lot 88. 1000 Ringgit 2nd Series Sign. Ismail Md.Ali (KNB12:P12) Serial no. A/1 165169 PMG 40 NET EF Closed Pinholes. Estimate RM15,000 - 18,000.
- Lot 96. 10 Ringgit 4th Series Sign Aziz Taha (KNB21b:P15Aa), Replacement serial no. X/1 159540 PMG 64 UNC. Estimate RM800 - 1,200.
- Lot 99. 50 Ringgit 4th Series Sign Aziz Taha (KNB22a:P16A), Serial no. B/77 699062 PMG 65 EPQ. Estimate RM3,500 - 4,000.
- Lot 104. 100 Ringgit 5th Series Sign Aziz Taha (KNB29d:P24) Replacement Serial no. ZZ 0045300 PMG 65 EPQ. Estimate RM7,000 - 15,000.
- Lot 122. 50 Ringgit 9th Series. Ali Abu Hassan (KNB53f:P43b), Replacement serial no. ZA 1179055 PMG 64 EPQ. Estimate RM8,000 - 10,000.
- Lot 130. 50 Ringgit 12th Series. Zeti Aziz Commemorative issue with 50th Anniv Logo (KNB75a:P49a). Serial no. AA 0000821 PMG 66 EPQ. Estimate RM800 - 2,000.
- Lot 244. 10 Dollars 1914 Straits Settlements (KNB7f), Serial no. A/26 45397 multiple folds, pinholes, stain, edge tear have tiny nicks and center holes. (Good). Estimate RM6,600 - 8,000.
- Lot 254> Sarawak 25 Katis Dry Rubber Coupon, series no. 106324 UNC. Estimate RM400 - 600.
- Lot 273. China 1993 5 oz Gold Peacock 500 Yuan Proof Coin Certificate of authenticity serial number. 0000008. mintage 99pcs only 1993年500元.孔雀開屏,鉴定证书编号 0000008. Estimate RM65,000 - 80,000.
- Lot 274. People’s Republic of China, Commemorative 50th Anniversary of the Return of Taiwan, Proof Gold 50 Yuan, (Obverse: Great Wall Reverse Taiwan and China Map), NGC PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO, NGC PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO (2pcs), 1995年台湾光复回归祖国五十周年纪念金币. Estimate RM19,500 - 30,000.
- Lot 275. China (Macau) 1988 Gold Dragon Pattern and 1988 Silver Dragon Pattern (Pobjoy Mint) PCGS PR67 DCAM (2pcs). Estimate RM110,000 - 150,000.
- Lot 276. China 2001 20 Yuan 2 Oz .999 Silver Proof Mogao Grottoes NGC PF69 ULTRA CAMEO, Mintage 30,000. Estimate RM9,500 - 12,000.
- Lot 281. Copper Proof Pattern 1 Pice, 1810, (KN4) by Thomas Wyon junior, Obv EIC arms, Thomas Wyon junior (1792-1817) was apprenticed to his father at the Royal Mint at the age of 14. He would have been 17 or 18 when he engraved this pattern. PCGS PR 62BN Pattern, Very rare. Estimate RM50,000 - 70,000.
- Lot 282. The Pattern 1 Pice 1810 (KN5) prepared by Lewis Pingo, Chief Engraver, of the Royal Mint, London Type 2, PCGS PR 62BN Pattern. Estimate RM50,000 - 70,000.
You may also visit LiveAuctioneers.com to view Trigometric auction catalog and bid online. Buyer’s Premium for internet bidding is set at 18%, no exceptions.